Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Time for the (bi) annual update:

EDITOR'S (Ha!) NOTE: This draft was started November 30, 2011 and never posted. Then updated at some point in 2013... and never posted. So it's not that I haven't been thinking about you, dear readers. (Ha!) But most likely that I've been struggling with the realization that I have recurring bouts of what I'm pretty sure is social anxiety. But first... the post that I hope will shame me into actually authoring more updates.

Hello!
It seems like only last year that I sat down and composed some thoughts to share with... well... anyone willing to read them I guess. These are public postings and as a self-conscious person I find myself waiting to have something of substance to share before speaking. Or the right combination of boredom and introspection. Or a desperate need to procrastinate.
Whatever the reason, here we are. But it's probably the procrastination one.

The hermit side of me has been kicking in a lot more than usual lately. Maybe it is the glut of gaming diversions, maybe it's the season, maybe it's a layer of my psychosis manifesting itself in making me avoid leaving my apartment unless I really have to. Luckily 'really have to' still includes work. I'm not sure that I could find words that approximate my feelings when I consider venturing out... Dread? Annoyance? Distaste?

In the distractions column: it has been an exceptional year for gaming, and the glut of top-shelf entertainment to be had is staggering. If I started listing them I probably wouldn't finish or would forget some major entries... so instead my current top 3: Skyrim, Minecraft, and Saints Row 3. With honorable mentions going to Rocksmith because it lets me plug an electric guitar into my XBox and try to unlearn years of bad plastic-guitar habits. I've only had it for a day so we'll see if I can actually train my hand to strum individual strings accurately.

UPDATE: The post above has been in draft since 11/30/2011... we are now in the Future! Glorious 2013.

Rocksmith lasted about two weeks before I put it away again. It turns out my fingertips are wider than the spacing between the strings on the guitar I have available, so I was constantly being penalized for either muting or sounding the adjacent tones. A little disappointing, but not a problem I was willing to invest more than a little time to fight.

Still a hermit. Still a gamer. In an attempt to be more budget-conscious I have been 'ignoring' many of the latest releases and only purchasing during deep discount sales. That has been working out fairly well, but when you can purchase Seven Triple-A Titles in a bundle for Twenty Bucks it does create an intimidating glut of gaming options. Lately I find myself somewhat paralyzed with indecision as to which diversion to jump into next. Oddly favoring revisiting some of my favorite games. Skyrim had a brief resurgence thanks to receiving some of the expansion content as a gift. Saints Row 3 was completed no less than three times. Borderlands and Borderlands 2 were played with multiple characters. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment